Sunday, February 10, 2008

God, how can you be sleeping?

Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with his disciples. Suddenly, a fierce storm struck the lake, with waves breaking into the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him up, shouting, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
Jesus responded, “Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!” Then he got up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly there was a great calm.
The disciples were amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked. “Even the winds and waves obey him!” [Matthew 8]


It seems that all too often I find myself in the middle of a storm. The winds create waves that seem like walls of impossibility the beautiful depths of the waters are clouded with uncertainty. And it seems that I forget that I serve the Master of the wind and the waves. I watch the waves come crashing down and I look into the cloudy waters trying to find my escape. The storm strikes ruthlessly and doesn't cease despite my desperate cries and my fear grows within me that my boat won't hold up against the brutality of the wind and waters. And I think to myself: God, how can you be sleeping?

As the storm continues on I panic looking for the easiest and simplist fix that doesn't require any sacrifice or humility. I'd rather find my own way out- thanks God, but I don't need your help just yet. Eventually I go running to Yahweh saying- I'm going to drown! I can't swim in these waters! And He turns to me and says, "Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!" As the waters still and the winds cease their blowing I can see clearly that God was there in the midst of the storm I was simply blinded by my surroundings. I take my eyes off of him and that allows Satan to turn a small windstorm into a hurricane. If I would trust that God is always there, even when the waters become muddy, and the walls of water reach uncontrollable heights, I would never have to ask: God, how can you be sleeping?

No comments: